I’ve heard steering cables should be ‘maintained.’ How exactly is this done?
By keeping your boat’s steering system in proper working order you can ensure that you have reliable and proper control of your boat at all times. Lack of maintenance is the major contributor to stiff steering and in some extreme cases, cable seizure. We suggest the following periodic maintenance at least twice a year:
- Be certain the helm(s), cable(s), steering wheel and connection hardware are correctly assembled and in proper working order. Check for signs of stiffness, binding, excessive free play and/or wear. These items cannot be repaired; if any components are not in good working order, replace them. Disassembly of these items will void the warranty and can lead to steering failure. Always replace steering cables that are stiff in operation or have damage to the plastic jacket (outer casing).
- Clean and lubricate the engine tilt tube or cable support tube and the steering cable telescopic output ram as follows:
- Remove the steering cable(s) telescoping ram from the tilt tube.
- Clean the tilt tube inside diameter thoroughly.
- Remove corrosion in the tilt tube with a wire brush. Wipe until all loose material is removed.
- Lubricate the tilt tube with a good water resistant marine grease.
- Scour the steering cable telescopic ram with a brass wire brush and wipe until clean.
- Lubricate the sliding parts of the telescopic ram with a high-quality, water resistant marine grease.
- Reassemble, making sure all (correct) fasteners are tight and there is no binding or excessive free play in moving parts.
Please note where locking fasteners are used. Do not use non-locking fasteners; vibration can loosen them, causing steering failure.
Steering cables cannot be repaired. If the steering cable is deteriorated, does not move or operates in any manner other than correctly, replace it with the correct one for the helm. If the cable for your helm is no longer available, replace the helm, bezel and cable with an appropriate SeaStar Solutions steering kit.