When your boats’ steering is smooth and easy to use it makes a day on the water much more enjoyable, less tiring and safer.
The same is true for your engine controls. If the control feels stiff and hard to move, or it feels sloppy (lost motion) with the engine not revving properly, or maybe it doesn’t engage the gear fully, it could be a problem with the control cable which links the control to the engine & gearbox. The longer the run, the more important a superior cable becomes.
To help you understand what can cause these problems, we first need to understand how traditional cables are made. Made up of an outer casing and inner core, cables vary in feel depending on the stiffness of the core wire and how tightly it fits in the outer casing. The classic trade-offs are:
- Stiffer core/tighter fit. This offers less lost motion but is harder to move. With longer and more complex runs, cable movement becomes progressively more difficult.
- More flexible core/looser fit. This has an easier feel but allows more lost motion. This approach can lead to an overall sloppy feel, RPM loss or difficult gear engagement.
These days there is another option where these trade-offs aren’t an issue. Cables manufactured using SeaStar Solutions’ unique XTREME technology incorporate a patented splined core. The splines (or ridges) on the core allow a close fit with the cable’s inner liner, but with minimal contact, so the core glides back and forth smoothly like a skater on ice. This has the effect of giving unparalleled smoothness and efficiency with hardly any lost motion – even in the longest and most complex cable routings. The XTREME cables give a confidence inspiring, superior feel at the control that until recently was considered impossible.
Key features of SeaStar Solutions’ Xtreme control cables
- Can be used in any boat
- Cables to mate to any type of engine, outboard or inboard/sterndrive
- Ideal for short or long runs
- XTREME’s unique design incorporates a patent-pending splined core which allows easy movement and minimal lost motion
- Designed for complex and/or long cable runs (or to simply create a superior feel)
- Flexible, allowing a 4” minimum bend radius – much tighter than traditional cables
You can find out more about SeaStar Solutions’ complete range of cables and how to measure for replacements by watching our videos at: http://www.seastarsolutions.com/videos/#controls
Or go to our website, www.seastarsolutions.com, where you will find details of the complete range of SeaStar Solutions’ control cables.